Phone: (517) 355-8452 x 203
Assistant Professor, Meat Processing/Animal Products
Ph.D., Texas A&M University, 1996
M.S., California State University, Fresno, 1991
B.S., Kon-Kuk University, Seoul/South Korea 1988
Focus on developing process that adds value to fresh and processed meat products: red meat, poultry and fish. Current research areas include developing hot boning process, improving protein functionality, ensuring microbial safety, evaluating poultry processing technology and exploring new additives/processing for under-utilized fish species.
Other responsibilities include teaching Meat Processing/Animal Products, and advising graduate and undergraduate research.
Associate Principal Scientist
Post Doctoral Fellow
Awards and Honors
ABCD AWARD at Oscar Mayer Foods (2007) for pre-rigor turkey process.
SPARK AWARD at Oscar Mayer Foods (2006) for pre-rigor turkey process.
BE MY GUEST AWARD at Oscar Mayer Foods (2006) for chopped ham reformulation.
SPARK AWARD at Oscar Mayer Foods (2003) for CLSP conversion.
SPARK AWARD at Oscar Mayer Foods (2002) for water washing technology on MST.
Research Assistantship at Texas A&M University (1991-1995).
Research Assistantship at California State University (1989-1991).
Institute of Food Technologists (from 1996 to present)
Poultry Science Association (from 1990 to present)
International Association of Food Protection (from 2011 to present)
American Meat Science Association (from 2000 to present)
I. Kang, L. Zhang, J.Y. Jeong, G.W. Hessel, T. Sahnsawat, E.T. Ryser, J. Hart, and R. Tempelman. 2012, Provian Powder (co-spray dried mixtures of organic acids) inhibited the growth of Listeria monocytogenes in Low-sodium frankfurters stored 4, 7, or 10 oC (To submit to J Food Prot).
L. Zhang, Y. Xu, E.T. Ryser, T. Sansawat, J. Harte, R. Templeman, and I. Kang. 2012. Provian (co-spray dried mixtures of organic acids) inhibited growth of Listeria monocytogenes in frankfurters stored at 4, 7, or 10oC (to submit to J Food Prot).
L. Zhang, J.Y. Jeong, K.K. Janardhanan, E.T. Ryser, and I. Kang. 2011. Microbiological Quality of Water-Immersion and Air-Chilled Broilers. J. Food Prot. 74:1531-1535.
J.Y. Jeong, K.K. Janardhanan, A.M. Booren, J.B. Harte, and I. Kang. 2011. Breast meat quality and consumer sensory properties of broiler carcasses chilled by water, air, or evaporative air. Poultry Sci. 90:694-700.
J.Y. Jeong, K.K. Janardhanan, A.M. Booren, D.M. Karcher, and I. Kang. 2011. Moisture content, processing yield, and surface color of broiler carcasses chilled by water, air, or evaporative air. Poultry Sci. 90:687-693.
I.S. Kang and T.C. Lanier. 2005. Inhibition of protease in intact fish fillets by soaking in or injection of recombinant soy cystatin or bovine plasma J. Agric. Food Chem. 53: 9795-9799.
I.S. Kang, J.J. Wang, J.C.H. Shih, and T.C. Lanier. 2004. Extracellular production of a functional soy cystatin by Bacillus subtilis. J. Agric. Food Chem. 52:5052-5056.
I.S. Kang and T.C. Lanier, 1999. Bovine plasma protein functions in surimi gleation compared with cysteine protease inhibitors. J. Food Sci. 64:842-846, 1999.
I.S. Kang and A.R. Sams, 1999. A Comparison of texture and quality of breast fillets from broilers stunned by electricity and carbon dioxide (CO2) on a shackle-line or killed with CO2. Poultry Sci. 78:1334-1337.
I.S. Kang and A.R. Sams, 1999. Bleeding efficiency, Carcass Damage, and Rigor mortis following electrical stunning or carbon dioxide stunning on a shackle line. Poultry Sci, 78:139-143.
L.T. Walker, S.G. Birhold, I.S. Kang, E.M. Hirschler, and A.R. Sams, 1996. The effects of post-mortem electrical stimulation and muscle tensioning in two broiler muscles. Poultry Sci. 75:1118-1120.
L.T. Walker, S.G. Birhold, I.S. Kang, E.M. and A.R. Sams. 1994. A comparison of treatments for reducing the toughness of early-harvested broiler pectoralis. Poultry Sci. 73:464.
H.K. Shin, Y.G. Jin, and I.S. Kang, 1991. Effect of packaging method on shelf-life of vienna sausage: comparison of vacuum, oxygen scavenger and CO2 controlled atmosphere. Kon-Kuk University, Animal Resource Research Paper. 16:173.
H.K. Shin, S.S. Choi, and I.S. Kang, 1990. Effect of added NaCl levels on the physical, chemical and microbial properties of dry sausage during ripening period. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 20:755.
Y. J. Choi, I.S. Kang and T.C. Lanier, 2005. “Proteolytic enzymes and control in surimi”, In Surimi and Surimi Seafood”, 2nd edition. p 227-260. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
I.S. Kang and T.C. Lanier, 2000. “Heat-induced softening on surimi gels by proteinases.” In Surimi and Surimi Seafood”, p 445-474. Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, NY.
Hot boned and rapid frozen turkey process for industrial scales. I. Kang, A. Booren, J.Y. Jeong, R. Susanto, K. Klalpurackal Janardhanan, K.W. Ng. Pending.
Simultaneous multiple acervation process. J.P. Loh, Y-C.A. Hong, Y. Ma, A.S. Cha, I. Kang. US20100028503A1. Published 2/4/2010. –Pending.
Washed deboned meat having high protein recovery. I. Kang, G.R. Skaar, W.N.G. Barron, C. J. Painter, J.D. Colby. US7569245. 2009.
Oct 2011 Food processing technology for food safety improvement and salt/fat reduction in meat products, Department seminar of Animal Science/Food Science & Human Nutrition. East Lansing, MI.
Oct 2011 Three-way collaborative research workshop for the inhibition of Listeria growth: MSU, Kemira, and Kalsec. Inc. Kalamazoo, MI.
Sep 2011 Sodium reduction strategy through meat processing technology, Nutrition seminar, FSHN, MSU, East Lansing, MI.
Jul. 2011 Value-added meat processing. Value-added food processing and packaging short course. East Lansing, MI. Jul. 2011.
Aug 2011 Inhibitory effect of Provian® (a co-spray dried mixture of sodium lactate and sodium acetate) on the growth of Listeria monocytogenes in frankfurters stored at 4, 7, or 10oC. Tiel, The Netherlands
Mar 2010 Hot boned turkey process in a continuous manner. Midwest Poultry Federation Convention, St. Louis, Minnesota.
Mar 2010 Smoke Production, Smoke Composition, and Pre-smoking Technologies, Michigan Meat Association. East Lansing, Michigan State University.
Aug 2010 Designated panel members in industry and institute workshop – Seoul, Korea National Food Cluster Symposium.
Dec 2009 Turkey pre-rigor processing, Michigan Beef Industry Commission Board Meeting. University Club, East Lansing, Michigan State University.
Mar. 2009 Basic meat chemistry and meat emulsion, Michigan Meat Association, East Lansing, MI.
1) I. Kang, L. Zhang, Y. Xu, E.T. Ryser, J. Y. Jeong, and J. B. Harte. 2011. Inhibition effect of Provian (A co-spray dried mixture of sodium lactate and sodium acetate) on the growth of Listeria monocytogenes in frankfurters stored 4, 7, or 10 oC. P242, p. 228. International Congress of Meat Science and Technology, Ghent Belgium.
2) E.T. Ryser, J. B. Harte, R. J. Tempelman, and I. Kang. 2011. Inhibitory effects of Provian on the growth of Listeria monocytogenes in frankfurters stored at 4, 7, or 10 oC in Exhibitor 3 Kemira. Technical Symposium Pathogen Reduction 2011, Canadian Meat Council, Toronto, Canada.
3) J.Y. Jeong, K.K. Janardhanan, A.M. Booren, D.M. Karcher, and I. Kang. 2010. Moisture retention and visual appearances of broilers chilled by water, air or evaporative air. D018 p. 121 ICoMST, 56th International Congress of Meat Science and Technology, Jeju Korea.
4) J.Y. Jeong, K.K. Janardhanan, A.M. Booren, J.B. Harte, and I. Kang. 2010. Protein functionality and sensory property of broiler carcasses chilled by water, air, or evaporative air. E056 p. 210 ICoMST, 56th International Congress of Meat Science and Technology, Jeju Korea.
5) I. Kang 2010. Hot boned poultry process. 2010 Midwest Poultry Federation Convention Proceeding, Saint Paul, MN. USA.
6) I. Kang 2008. Effect of cold batter mixing on meat protein functionality. Kraft Foods Global Technical Symposium 2008.
1) G. Hessell, L. Zhang, Y. Xu, E. Ryser, J. Y. Jeong, J. B. Harte and I. Kang. 2011. Inhibition effect of Provian (A co-spray dried mixture of sodium lactate and sodium acetate) on the growth of Listeria monocytogenes in low-sodium frankfurters stored at 4, 7, or 10 oC. 92, p. 72, RMC, Manhattan, Kansas USA.
2) L. Zhang, J. Y. Jeong, K. K.. Janardhanan, E. Ryser, and I. Kang. 2011. Microbiological quality of water-immersion and air-chilled broilers. PSA. St. Louis, Missouri USA.
3) Inhibition of protease in intact fish fillets by recombinant cystatin. 50D-14, IFT Annual Meeting, 1999
4) Inhibition of proteinases in fish minces and fillets. 5th Joint Meeting: Atlantic Fisheries Technology Conference & Tropical and Subtropical Seafood Science and Technology Society of the Americas. 1999.
5) Role of bovine plasma protein in surimi gelation and its comparison to specific cysteine protease inhibitors. Pacific Fisheries Technology Annual Meeting. 1999
6) Role of bovine plasma proteins in surimi gelation. 46F-13, IFT Annual Meeting, 1998.
7) Effects of spray drying on performance of beef plasma added to surimi. 69C-2, IFT annual meeting, 1997.
8) Plasma as a source of functional food additives. Kinsella-Symposium, 1997.
9) Rigor mortis development and meat quality in broiler stunned with electricity, stunned with carbon dioxide, or killed with carbon dioxide. Poultry Science Association. 74:237, Suppl. 1., 1995.
10) Bleed-out, carcass damage, and rigor mortis development following shackle line stunning of broilers with carbon dioxide. Poultry Science Association. 74:S68, Suppl. 1., 1995.
11) Current flow during postmortem electrical stimulation and the associated tenderization of early-harvested broiler breast meat. Southern Poultry Science Society. 72:412, Suppl. 1., 1993.
12) Broiler muscle fiber types respond differently to post-mortem electrical stimulation and muscle tensioning. Poultry Science Association. 71:89, Suppl. 1., 1992.
Research and Teaching Experience
Michigan State University
2009 to present: Assistant Professor
Poultry air chill
Pre-rigor turkey, lamb
Low humidity cook of Arrowtooth flounder
FSN 433: Muscle Food Processing, ANS 210: Animal Products
Oscar Mayer/Kraft Foods
2000-2009: Associate Principal Scientist
· New process/Product Development
Prerigor poultry process via an in-line mixer.
Continuous sausage batter production through an in-line mixer.
Shelf-life extension of meat products with acid solution (Kraft proprietary product). Tender and juicy steaks with alkaline solution (Kraft proprietary product). Fat free hot dog with protein isolate.
Continuous sausage cook process: 12 item conversion to plastic casings ($1,200,000 savings).
Combination of Oscar Mayer and Louis Rich Formula: Smoke White Turkey ($ 900,000 savings).
White meat reformulation in 6 turkey products. ($ 500,000 savings).
Ham quality improvement. Breast of Turkey quality improvement. Bacon flavor enhancement.
NORTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY
Department of Food Science, Raleigh, NC
1996-2000: Postdoctoral Associate
· Surimi gel strengthening via bovine plasma protein and Transglutamination mixture.
· A rapid and consistent assay for protease and protease inhibitor activities.
· Production of protease inhibitor from microbes cloned with a strong soy inhibitor gene.
· Fish fillet protection with a recombinant protease inhibitor injection.
TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY
Department of Food Science, College Station, TX
1991-1996: Research Assistant
· Electrical stimulation on poultry carcass for muscle tenderization.
· Gas stunning vs electrical stunning on carcass damage and rigor development.
· Evaluation of calpain and calpastatin activities during rigor development.
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY
Department of Animal Science, Fresno, CA
1989-1991: Research Assistant
Beef, Pork, Lamb
· Production of restructured beef steaks with proteolytic enzymes.
· Development of mushroom sausages.
Department of Animal Science, Seoul, Korea
1988-1991: Research Assistant
· Rapid detection method for Salmonella species using enzyme linked immunosorbant assay.
· Identification of meat microbes.