Assistant Professor, Stem Cell Biology & Developmental Biology
Phone: (517) 353-1416
- Bachelor in Medicine, Shangdong Medical University, China
- MS, Chinese Academy pf Preventive Medicine, China
- PhD, Boston University, USA
- Post-doc, Harvard Medical School and NIEHS
75% Research, 20% Teaching, 5% Extension
Laboratory: Stem Cell Biology
My main research focus is to dissect mammalian genetic programs that govern germ cell development. I am also interested in the regulatory events that affect pluripotency and differentiation of stem cells. Empowered with iPSC (induced pluripotent stem cells) technology, in vivo mouse knockout models, and long-term in vitro culture system of spermatogonial stem cells, my laboratory aims to understand underlying pathology of human male infertility.
Selected publications (*corresponding author):
- Gong X, Chao R, Wang P, Huang X, Zhang J, Zhu X, Zhang Y, Yang X, Hou C, Ji X, Shi T & Wang Y*. (2016) Interplay of transcription factors and microRNAs during embryonic hematopoiesis, Sci China Life Science Epub of print.
- Zhang J, Wang Q, Wang M, Jiang M, Wang YS, Sun Y, Xie TR, Wang J, Tang N, Song H, Chao R, Chen X & Wang Y*. (2016) GASZ and MFN-mediated mitochondrial functions are crucial for spermatogenesis, EMBO Rep 17：220-34
- Chao R, Gong X, Wang L, Wang P & Wang Y*. (2015) CD71high population represents primitive erythroblasts derived from mouse embryonic stem cells, Stem Cell Res 14 (1)：30-38
- Chu M, Wang L, Wang H, Ni T, Zhu J & Wang Y*. (2014) A novel role for CDX1 in embryonic epicardial development, PLoS ONE 9 (7): e103271
- Zhang X, Li B, Li W, Ma L, Zheng D, Li L，Yang W, Chu M, Chen W, Mailman R, Zhu J, Fan G, Archer TK & Wang Y*. (2014) Transcriptional repression by BRG1-SWI/SNF complex affects pluripotency of human embryonic stem cells, Stem Cell Reports 3:460-474
- Wang Q, Liu XQ, Tang N, Archambeault D, Li J, Song H, Tang C, He B, Matzuk M & Wang Y*. (2013) GASZ promotes germ cell derivation from embryonic stem cells. Stem Cell Res 11(2):845-860
- Wang Y, Yabuuchi A, McKinney-Freeman S, Ducharm, Ray M, Chawengsaksophak K, Trevor Archer & Daley GQ. (2008) Cdx gene deficiency compromises embryonic hematopoiesis in the mouse, PNAS 105: 7756-61
- Wang Y, Yates F, Naveiras O, Ernst P & Daley GQ. (2005) Embryonic stem cell-derived hematopoietic stem cells. PNAS 102(52):19081-6.
- Davidson AJ, Ernst P, Wang Y, Dekens MPS, Kinglsey PD, Palis J, Korsmeyer SJ, Daley GQ & Zon LI. (2003) Cdx4 mutants fail to specify haematopoietic progenitors during embryogenesis and can be rescued by multiple hox genes. Nature 425(6955): 300-6.